The Cruelty-Free 5: Our Crtieria
All brands that we classify as cruelty-free have confirmed the following. Find out more about the Cruelty-Free 5.
- Their company doesn't test finished products or ingredients on animals
- Their suppliers don't test finished products or ingredients on animals
- No third parties test their finished products or ingredients on their behalf
- They do not test on animals where required by law
- Their products are not sold in stores in mainland China
New Brands Added: Cruelty-Free
The brands below have confirmed that they're truly cruelty-free, meaning that no animal testing is performed on their products at any level during production and beyond.
- Westman Atelier
- Evolve Organic Beauty
- Yodi Beauty
- billion dollar Beauty
- Kristin Ess
- Dr. Teal’s
- Zao Organic
- Freck Beauty
- Tony Moly (see below)
We reached out to the following companies because of a potential change in their policy:
- Tony Moly -- we were able to confirm that Tony Moly is now a cruelty-free brand and is no longer sold in mainland China!
New Brands Added: NOT Cruelty-Free
- Biologique Recherche -- has been present in China for a number of years, although they currently claim that animal testing is no longer required for their products. We believe this is a misleading claim, as their finished products were most likely tested on animals in China.
- Isdin -- also tests on animals where required by law and is sold in mainland China.
New Brands Added: Grey Area
These brands either did not respond to our multiple attempts to contact them, or they didn't prove enough information by addressing all our questions. To encourage them to be transparent about their cruelty-free status, you can try reaching out to them on social media and via email.
- Thayers -- After multiple attempts, they were unable to provide clear answers regarding their policy.
Peripera stated: "We do not want to add our brand to your database at this moment".
Can't find a brand in our database?
As always, thank you for being a compassionate consumer and shopping cruelty-free.
Shop Cruelty-Free—It's Easy!
Find the best cruelty-free makeup, skincare, hair care products and more with our curated database. Shop here to find ethical products.