In the US, the poll was commissioned by The Humane Society of the United States. HSI partnered with Lush Cosmetics in Japan, and with SPCA in Taiwan. These are their results:
- 68% know that animals are used to test the safety of cosmetics.
- 3 in 4 voters say that they would feel safer, or as safe, if non-animal methods were used to test the safety of a cosmetic instead of animal testing.
- 70% of women think that animal testing of cosmetics should be illegal.
- 8 out of 10 people support a national cosmetics animal testing ban
- 88% agreed that animal testing "can cause pain and suffering to animals and it is not worth causing this kind of suffering just to test the safety of cosmetics, especially when there are safe ingredients already available."
- 81% support a nationwide ban on the testing of cosmetics and their ingredients on animals.
- Among those who were either undecided or opposed to a Canadian ban, when told that the European Union has banned cosmetic testing on animals, a third changed their minds to support a Canadian ban.
- 7 out of 10 people support a national animal testing ban for cosmetics
- 2 out of 3 people support a national ban
- Nearly 90% responded that “I don’t want manufactures to use ingredients in cosmetics whose safety cannot be determined unless they are tested on animals.”
- More than half said they felt strongly about the issue of cosmetics animal testing.
- 65% said that “manufactures that test on animals should publicize the species and number of animals that they use for testing.”
- 76.5% believe animals shouldn't suffer in name of beauty.
- 69.2% of Taiwanese consumers want to see cosmetics animal testing banned
The full press release can be found here, with links to all the individual studies.
Of course, we have to keep in mind that the polls were commissioned by HSI, Lush, and SPCI Taiwan. All things considered, I think these results reflect how people truly are increasingly aware of animal testing and how unnecessary it is. I'm glad to see this happening, and I'm hopeful for a ban sometime in the future!
How do you feel about these results?
Shop Cruelty-Free—It's Easy!
Find the best cruelty-free makeup, skincare, hair care products and more with our curated database. Shop here to find ethical products.