Paul Mitchell is an incredibly popular salon hair care brand based out of California. They are also known for their series of Paul Mitchell beauty schools throughout the US. Additionally, they claim to be the first professional beauty company to take a stand against animal testing.
But is Paul Mitchell cruelty-free? They did not recommit to the Leaping Bunny program in 2017, so we reached out to them to make sure nothing changed in their policy.
They confirmed that they don’t test finished products or ingredients on animals. They also stated that their suppliers don’t test on animals, and no third parties test on animals on their behalf. They don’t test on animals where required by law and their products aren’t sold in China. Paul Mitchell remains certified by PETA and does not have a parent company.
Keep reading for the full policy as well as a Q&A. There’s also a list of Paul Mitchell vegan products at the end of the post.
At A Glance
- Finished products tested on animals: No
- Ingredients tested on animals: No
- Third party animal testing: No
- Tested on animals where required by law: No
- Sold in mainland China: No
- Certifications: PETA
- Parent company: None
- Parent company status: N/A
Paul Mitchell is certified by PETA as being cruelty-free. PETA also confirmed that Paul Mitchell does not sell their products in China, where animal testing is required by law for foreign cosmetics.
From the Website
Paul Mitchell’s website has a “Behind the Bottle” page dedicated to their animal testing policy, and it reads:
In 1980, we became the first professional beauty company to publicly stand up against animal testing. Now, nearly 35 years later, that pledge to our furry friends remains a driving force in all that we do. Just last year, Paul Mitchell® Co-founder John Paul DeJoria made the decision to stop selling our products in China when animal testing became a mandate, reaffirming our steadfast commitment to being cruelty-free.
In addition, the company furthers their stance on the Paul Mitchell blog. Here is an excerpt from a post they shared in February 2017:
Here at Paul Mitchell, we’re passionate about beauty from the inside out. And that commitment has been at the core of all that we do since we began in 1980. That’s why we were the first professional beauty company to publicly stand up against animal testing—and 37 years later, we’re still rockin’ that pledge to our furry friends.
Testing on animals is cruel and unnecessary, yet a lot of beauty brands still engage in this ugly practice. Not us! We never have, and we never will. Testing on actual humans makes way more sense, and that’s why we’re proud to have our very own Production Innovation Center to perfect our products for you.
And you know what? We didn’t stop there. Because we love our animal friends so much, we’ve committed to carrying only vegan leather shear cases and styling accessories, and all of our brushes are made with synthetic bristles rather than animal hair (Because, surprise! Those animals aren’t “donating” their hair to the beauty cause.). In addition to being cruelty-free, nylon brushes are more hygienic since they’re easier to clean and repel bacteria more effectively than animal hair. That’s a win for you and a win for the animals!
We’re so passionate about this cause that going forward in 2017, we’re featuring a new “No Animal Testing” logo on all of our products to emphasize and highlight our dedication. We want you to know that when you use Paul Mitchell, you’re making the world a more beautiful place … one fabulous hairstyle—and compassionate purchase—at a time.
Q&A With Paul Mitchell
Since the policy on the Paul Mitchell website and blog isn’t complete, I reached out to ask them specific questions. Here are their answers, with my questions in bold.
1. Does your company test on animals, either for finished products or ingredients?
2. Do your suppliers test on animals?
3. Does your company hire or allow third parties to test on animals on your behalf?
4. Do you test on animals where required by law?
No. Our products are only available in those locations (referring to salons, Loxa Beauty and Neon Hair).
5. Are your products sold in mainland China?
Paul Mitchell Vegan Product List
In addition to the vegan leather styling accessories and synthetic brushes mentioned in their blog post, many of Paul Mitchell’s hair care products are vegan-friendly. Here is the impressively long full list of products which are labeled as vegan on their website:
- AWAPUHI BAR®
- AWAPUHI MOISTURE MIST®
- AWAPUHI SHAMPOO®
- AWAPUHI WILD GINGER SHINE SPRAY™
- AWAPUHI WILD GINGER STYLING TREATMENT OIL®
- BABY DON’T CRY® SHAMPOO
- COLOR PROTECT® DAILY CONDITIONER
- COLOR PROTECT® DAILY SHAMPOO
- COLOR PROTECT® LOCKING SPRAY
- COLOR PROTECT® RECONSTRUCTIVE TREATMENT
- DRY WASH® ULTRA FINE WATERLESS SHAMPOO
- DRY WAX™
- EXTRA-BODY DAILY BOOST®
- EXTRA-BODY DAILY RINSE®
- EXTRA-BODY DAILY SHAMPOO®
- EXTRA-BODY FINISHING SPRAY®
- EXTRA-BODY FIRM FINISHING SPRAY®
- EXTRA-BODY SCULPTING FOAM®
- EXTRA-BODY SCULPTING GEL®
- FAST DRYING SCULPTING SPRAY™
- FAST FORM® HAIR STYLING CREAM GEL
- FOAMING POMMADE® TEXTURE POLISH
- FREEZE AND SHINE SUPER SPRAY®
- FULL CIRCLE LEAVE-IN TREATMENT®
- GLOSS DROPS® FRIZZ-FREE POLISH
- HAIR REPAIR TREATMENT®
- HAIR SCULPTING LOTION™ STYLING LIQUID
- HEAT SEAL® THERMAL PROTECTION AND STYLE
- HOLD ME TIGHT™ FINISHING SPRAY
- HOT OFF THE PRESS® THERMAL PROTECTION HAIRSPRAY
- INSTANT MOISTURE® DAILY SHAMPOO
- INSTANT MOISTURE® DAILY TREATMENT
- JOHN PAUL PET® AWAPOOCHI CONDITIONING RINSE WITH SHINE MEMORY
- JOHN PAUL PET® AWAPOOCHI SHAMPOO WITH SHINE MEMORY
- JOHN PAUL PET® BODY & PAW PET WIPES
- JOHN PAUL PET® CALMING MOISTURIZING SHAMPOO
- JOHN PAUL PET® EAR & EYE PET WIPES
- JOHN PAUL PET® INSTANT DETANGLING SPRAY
- JOHN PAUL PET® OATMEAL CONDITIONING RINSE
- JOHN PAUL PET® OATMEAL CONDITIONING SPRAY
- JOHN PAUL PET® OATMEAL SHAMPOO
- JOHN PAUL PET® SMOOTH DETANGLING SHAMPOO
- JOHN PAUL PET® SUPER BRIGHT SHAMPOO
- JOHN PAUL PET® SUPER MOIST SHAMPOO
- JOHN PAUL PET® TEA TREE CONDITIONING SPRAY
- JOHN PAUL PET® TEA TREE SHAMPOO
- JOHN PAUL PET® TEARLESS SHAMPOO
- JOHN PAUL PET® TOOTH & GUM WIPES
- JOHN PAUL PET® WATERLESS FOAM SHAMPOO
- LAVENDER MINT MOISTURIZING CONDITIONER™
- LAVENDER MINT MOISTURIZING SHAMPOO™
- LEMON SAGE THICKENING CONDITIONER®
- LEMON SAGE THICKENING SHAMPOO®
- LEMON SAGE THICKENING SPRAY®
- LITE DETANGLER®
- MITCH CLEAN CUT® MEDIUM HOLD/SEMI-MATTE STYLING CREAM
- MITCH CONSTRUCTION PASTE® ELASTIC HOLD/MESH STYLER
- MITCH DOUBLE HITTER® 2-IN-1 SHAMPOO AND CONDITIONER
- MITCH HARDWIRED® MAXIMUM HOLD/SPIKING GLUE
- MITCH REFORMER® STRONG HOLD/MATTE FINISH TEXTURIZER
- MITCH STEADY GRIP® FIRM HOLD/NATURAL SHINE GEL
- PLATINUM BLONDE SHAMPOO™
- QUICK SLIP™ STYLING CREAM
- RE-WORKS® TEXTURE CREAM
- ROUND TRIP® CURL DEFINER
- SCULPTING FOAM™
- SHAMPOO ONE®
- SHAMPOO THREE®
- SHAMPOO TWO®
- SOFT SCULPTING SPRAY GEL®
- SOFT SPRAY® FINISHING SPRAY
- SPRAY WAX™
- SPRING LOADED® FRIZZ-FIGHTING CONDITIONER
- SPRING LOADED® FRIZZ-FIGHTING SHAMPOO
- STAY STRONG® ANTI HUMIDITY HAIRSPRAY
- STRAIGHT WORKS®
- SUPER CLEAN EXTRA® FINISHING SPRAY
- SUPER CLEAN LIGHT® FINISHING SPRAY
- SUPER CLEAN SCULPTING GEL®
- SUPER CLEAN SPRAY®
- SUPER SCULPT™ QUICK-DRYING STYLING GLAZE
- SUPER SKINNY® DAILY SHAMPOO
- SUPER SKINNY® DAILY TREATMENT
- SUPER SKINNY® RELAXING BALM™
- SUPER SKINNY® SERUM
- SUPER STRONG® DAILY CONDITIONER
- SUPER STRONG® DAILY SHAMPOO
- SUPER STRONG® LIQUID TREATMENT™
- SUPER STRONG® TREATMENT
- SUPER-CHARGED MOISTURIZER®
- TAMING SPRAY® OUCH-FREE DETANGLER
- TEA TREE FIRM HOLD GEL®
- TEA TREE HAIR AND BODY MOISTURIZER®
- TEA TREE SHAPING CREAM™
- TEA TREE SPECIAL CONDITIONER®
- TEA TREE SPECIAL SHAMPOO®
- THE CONDITIONER™
- THE CREAM® STYLING CONDITIONER
- THE DETANGLER®
- THICKEN UP® STYLING LIQUID
- TWIRL AROUND® CURL DEFINER
- ULTIMATE COLOR REPAIR® CONDITIONER
- ULTIMATE COLOR REPAIR® SHAMPOO
- ULTIMATE COLOR REPAIR® TRIPLE RESCUE®
- ULTIMATE WAVE® CURL CREAM
- WAX WORKS®
- XTG® EXTREME THICKENING GLUE
Paul Mitchell is a confirmed cruelty-free company, and is included in our cruelty-free list!
Image at the top: Paul Mitchell.