A new poll by Cruelty Free International reveals that 79% of Americans support a federal ban on animal testing for cosmetics.
The poll surveyed 1,000 adults across 50 American states and this research was conducted between August 29th and 30th, 2019.
The poll concluded that:
- 71% of Americans oppose animal testing for cosmetics, out of which 43% strongly oppose it
- 79% of Americans would support a federal ban on animals testing for cosmetics, out of which 45% would show strong support
This opposition to animal testing for cosmetics is found across all ages, though millennials surprisingly show slightly less opposition than older demographics.
- 65% of millennials (ages 18 to 34) are opposed to animal testing for cosmetics.
- 72% of those aged 35 to 49 are against the practice.
- 76% of those aged 50 to 64 are opposed to the practice.
- 75% of those aged 65 and over are opposed.
Interestingly, opposing animal testing has no political affiliation. This poll found that self-identifying democrats, republicans, and independents all show support in favor of a nationwide ban on animal testing.
- 83% of democrats oppose animal testing for cosmetics.
- 72% of republicans are against the practice.
- 80% of independents are against it.
In addition to this, the poll shows that even conservatives are against animal testing. Out of those who self-identify as “very conservative”, 71% would support a federal ban on animal testing for cosmetics, out of which 50% would “strongly” support it.
This poll shows us that the vast majority of Americans are not only opposed to animal testing for cosmetics, but would also support a federal ban on the practice. This is valid across all ages and regardless of political affiliation.
With California, Nevada, and Illinois recently banning animal testing for cosmetics in their states, we’re hopeful for a nationwide ban.
If you’re opposed to animal testing, you can vote with your dollars and let companies know that you’re against animal testing by boycotting brands that test on animals and supporting cruelty-free brands. Visit our list to find the best cruelty-free brands for your needs.